Wireless networking is used to meet many needs. Perhaps the most common use is to connect laptop users who travel from location to location. Another common use is for mobile networks that connect via satellite. A wireless transmission method is a logical choice to network a LAN segment that must frequently change locations. The following situations justify the use of wireless technology:
- To span a distance beyond the capabilities of typical cabling
- To provide a backup communications link in case of normal network failure
- To link portable or temporary workstations
- To overcome situations where normal cabling is difficult or financially impractical
- To remotely connect mobile users or networks.